Friday, June 11, 2010

Team FSM Racing in the 2010 GT300!

Last year on my Nacra 5.2 "Echelon," I placed fifth in the GT300 Dash, which is the last leg of a 300 mile race up the Texas coast from South Padre to Galveston. Just before the start, someone asked if I had ever sailed a beach catamaran in the ocean. Aside from an overcrowded H16 in Cancun, I hadn't. They were surprised to hear this, then very happy to convey their thoughts on the matter to me... that it is "better than sex!" My thoughts after the race? Well, I went out an purchased an F18. I'll let you decide...

This year, I'm not doing the dash, but rather the entire race! I was originally going to sail on my boat, but given my not-yet-bulletproof knee and relative lack of experience, this year Team FSM Racing is partnering with Team Yost Auto to compete in the open class of the Great Texas Catamaran Race:


We'll be sailing on Michael Yost's I20, and stand a good chance (due mostly to the excellent helmsmanship and experience of Mr. Yost) of doing quite well in the race. Last year, Michael was the second I20 to finish, despite getting T-boned in the surf and incurring significant boat damage which required returning to shore for a Gorilla Tape repair. I look forward to our performance.

I plan on posting a recap of each day's events starting with setup next Tuesday the 15th, going all the way to the last leg (of four) next Saturday. I don't know how good the internet service will be during the nightly stop-overs, but at the very least I'll have my iPhone and will post what I can.

Now I just have to hop on a plane from London to Austin tomorrow, finish preparing on Sunday, then head down to South Padre on Monday. It'll be hectic, but I cannot wait to hit the water! Wish me luck, fair breezes, a strong knee, and I'll catch you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment